Buttered Steam Cake (Puto) Recipe with Cheese
Sorry for the long hiatus. There’s just too much that is going on in my life right now and so my brain does not want to function normally lately. Stress can do that to the brain, you know. I have a lot of information that I want to share but the moment I’m in front of the laptop, the words won’t just come out. This isn’t the usual writer’s block that they always talk about. When a person is too stressed out and too anxious, the brain focuses more on the stressor or the source of anxiety that other things which used to be enjoyable becomes a task that needs to be accomplished — like, writing in a blog. And that’s what I don’t want to happen: I don’t want my writing or my blogging becomes a mere task. So as long as I can help it, I will make this as something that I enjoy doing.
Anyway, Halloween is over which means that Christmas is just around the corner. The church that we always go to held its annual Christmas Boutique and Bake Sale recently. Every year for three years now, I volunteer to bake cookies for the Bake Sale. But this year, aside from cookies, I also made some steam cakes which are very famous in Pampanga, my hometown in the Philippines. By the way, these steam cakes are commonly known as puto in the Philippines.
So for today, I will share the recipe that I use to make puto. I already forgot where I got this recipe from but I have been using it for so many years now.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients starting from the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Mix well.
2. Add the butter, evaporated milk, egg, and water. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
3. Pour the mixture in individual puto molds.
4. Pour the water in the steamer.
5. Arrange the molds in the steamer then steam for about 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the cover of the steamer and top each puto with cheddar cheese then continue steaming (with the cover on) for 2 minutes.
7. Remove the puto from the mold and arrange in a serving plate.
See you on my next blog…enjoy cooking!
It surely is yumm😊